Thursday, January 31, 2013

Spinal Tap, and Bone Marrow with Anesthesia

There has been a lot of changes going on over the past few days.

And yes, I have been avoiding updating. 

Anyways, we have more appointments going on. Currently we're trying to get a second opinion in San Francisco because they have an experimental treatment. Basically, for this experimental treatment they put chemo directly into the optic nerve. They have gotten good results from it for the past few years, and I'm sure some of you know that the pro basketball player, Derek Fisher, did it with his daughter when she was going through this.

However, they are having issues with our medicaid accepting the evaluation. You have to be enrolled with medicaid for them to cover it. San Francisco was enrolled at one point, but is no longer enrolled. However, they have offered to give us a free consult just to get an idea of what they can do. Which is amazing in and of itself. We don't know if they can actually do anything though. So we're waiting on that, but I'm hoping we can do something. This is our last option to try and save his right eye. Even if he has no vision in it, it would save him a whole lot of issues and troubles in the future.

Now for his appointments. He's going in for a Spinal Tap, and a Bone Marrow test next week to see whether the cancer has really spread through his entire body. We're going to have chemo regardless, but this will depict the amount of chemo we end up needing. If it turns out that it hasn't spread, then we will only need a couple rounds of chemo. However, if it has spread..then we've got a longer road ahead of us. This all is happening on Tuesday.

Then on Wednesday we're having another exam under anesthesia(yay anesthesia two days in a row!) to see how the eye is looking. How much it's grown, and to see if we can get it off the optic nerve. Apparently that's our next goal, to get the tumor off his optic nerve.

Oh, and we're also trying to apply for SSI to get some help, since there's a good chance my husband will have to quit his job. Hopefully we'll get approved now that it's bilateral. A good and a bad thing.

As for this momma. I'm super emotional, exhausted, and just flat out worn out - emotionally and physically. I've gotten promoted at work, so I'm trying to spend as much time focusing on that. But it's hard when all of this is going on. Next week I won't have the flexibility to go with my husband to Sacramento for all those appointments because of work. I wish I could, but I just can't request that kind of time off. 

I'm just hoping for a break of good luck. Anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment